Thursday, March 10, 2011

She Speaks Because HE Speaks

Have you ever had that thought, that quiet thought of something that you felt you should do? You didn’t know why or even where it came from, but your mind just kept replaying the same thought of really needing to do this one thing. Like maybe asking the little old lady who was walking in the rain if she needed a ride somewhere? Or giving someone, who everyone else considers an outcast, a few dollars to buy the can goods they just told the cashier they didn’t have enough money for? Or how about to apologize to someone that you knew you had turned your heart away from?


I certainly have had these thoughts. I must confess that I failed to listen to that still, quiet voice more times than I can count. The very situations that I mentioned above were not random ideas for this blog. They were the gentle voice that urged me to respond in my own life. I failed to do one of those situations and it haunts me to this day. I will probably never have the chance to do it again.


This still, quiet voice has encouraged me to do other things in my life and I have neglected to follow, but not anymore! I am determined that when I hear the magnificent voice of my Lord whispering to me, I will no longer make excuses or pretend that it is just me making up the thoughts. So here I sit typing these words. You got it. I felt the need to begin a blog several months ago and I did.  But what would I write? How would I start? Who is even going to read it?  It has sat lonely and empty until now.


In response to a scholarship contest, I decided now was a good time as any to begin my blogging debut. To be completely honest, I thought of taking the other option and just reply in email form for those who had no blog. But in my heart I knew there was a blog waiting for me, waiting for me to begin my journey of obedience.


The She Speaks Scholarship Contest is an amazing opportunity to receive one of two Cecil Murphy Scholarships that is being given away this week at http://lysaterkeurst.com/. She Speaks is an annual conference for women who have the desire to live out the truth of Proverbs 31:26, “She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue.” I am not sure how much wisdom I have to bestow upon you, but I know that I am ready to prove myself as a faithful “Jesus Girl” as Lysa TerKeurst would say. The past several weeks God has began calling me to a deeper walk and fellowship with Him. Leading my first “official” Bible study at church was my first step in obedience. What a step of faith it is! (That discussion will have to be for another day though.) I believe that attending the She Speaks Conference would equip me to be a more effective Bible study leader and student of God’s Truth. What better way is there to grow than to sit under the teaching of someone who is seasoned in the field?

Conference attendee's have the choice between three tracks:  the Speakers' Track, Writers' Track, and Women's Ministry Track.   Each track is designed to encourage and equip woman as they seek to communicate God's word in their area of specialty, whether it be through leading, speaking, or writing. 
Going to the conference on my own abilities, financial or otherwise, is not an option at this moment of my life. I had come to the conclusion that I would wait until next year and try to save the funds over the course of the year. But I still feel the quiet, gentle voice encouraging me to seek out the opportunity to attend the She Speaks conference. When the hope of being considered for a scholarship presented itself, I knew I had to give God a chance to show Himself mighty. Whether or not I am chosen for the scholarship, God will do mighty things through my obedience to Him. I am certain of that. Even if it is only for my benefit!


If you have been hearing that gentle whisper calling you to do something that is nothing short of God’s glorious plan, listen to it! Give God a chance to prove Himself mighty in your life! Prove yourself to be faithful! You have nothing to lose when you are following in obedience.



For more information on She Speaks you can visit the conference blog at http://shespeaksconference.com/blog.


For more information regarding the She Speaks Scholarship Contest you can visit Lysa’s blog.


3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading more of your blog, Emily! Thanks for your honesty and encouragement. Can't wait to see how God's plan unfolds through all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post and congratulations on your first blog! Welcome to blog world. God is faithful and as you step out in obedience, He will equip and guide and show you great and mighty things about who He is and what He is doing. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies for the encouragement! I believe this journey may be for me more than anyone. I was not chosen for this particular scholarship, but there are four more being given away this week. Perhaps, maybe...if not, that is okay. God will provide.

    ReplyDelete