Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Dare to Change


I am not naturally a got-it-all-together individual.  I lock myself out of the house, lose my keys, and forget things often.  Laundry is never finished.  This list could go on.

I think we will all agree we are rarely where we want to be in life. 

I want to be organized.  However, I do not embrace the discipline it takes to do so. It takes very little effort to hang my keys on the hook beside the refrigerator, but it is easier to throw them on the counter by the door or just leave them in my pocket.  

The same lack of discipline to stay organized bleeds into my spiritual life and hinders growth. I want to grow closer to the heart of God, but when He begins working in my life I seize up and refuse to make the changes needed. I find it much easier to stay where I am and just want to be different.

Change hurts. It is uncomfortable. However, anything of real worth takes time and effort. God doesn’t ask anything of us that is unreasonable. He sacrificed His one and only Son so that we may live. It is perfectly reasonable that God desires His children to live a life committed to Him.  

Growing in our relationship with God requires us to pursue Him. Though our first instinct may not be to turn to God in prayer or read His Word on a regular basis, as we make the choice to do these things they will become more natural for us. We must begin wherever we are and move forward.  There is always from for growth. From the person on the front pew to the person in the back God wants more of us.

Though growth and change is tough and uncomfortable at times, God only expects what is reasonable from us.

Embrace the self-discipline it takes to grow and enjoy the journey with Him. Dare to live different and take hold of the changes God is prompting. 

“ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, 
that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, 
acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.” 
Romans 12:1

No comments:

Post a Comment