Thursday, August 4, 2011

a letter to my Father

Dear Heavenly Father,
How awkward it is for me to call you Father.  For so long I have only thought of you as “God”.  A being that resides in a realm that my humanness cannot fathom, sitting on your gold and jewel-encrusted throne.  Looking down on the earth as we mere humans go about our daily lives.  The All-Powerful God who can change the course of the day with the simple motion of turning Your raised Hands in the air.  The God who speaks a word and the weather obeys.   Always watching and leading from Your throne.
Oh, how wrong was my thinking.  You are not a God who solely dwells on Your Throne in Heaven.  Your are a God who wants to walk with me throughout my day.   You are a God who cares about the small things in my life as well as the big.  When my SD card won’t work in my camera and I try three times with no luck.  In my spirit You whisper, “Just ask me.  I want to help you.” 
“This is silly, Lord.  Can you really fix my SD card?  This is so small,” I question You. 
“Just ask and see,” You encourage.
“Dear Lord, Please help me.  I need this card to work.”  I pray not really expecting the result to be any different.
I hear You speak, “Oh, ye of little faith.”  Doubt turns to amazement as my camera actually comes on and is ready to take a picture.  No error message warning me to format the card, resulting in the loss of all my cherished pictures. 
You prove Your faithfulness to me.  I am so sorry for doubting.  For believing that my prayers as less than desirable in Your ears. 
The words of my mouth penetrate Your very presence.  They do not bounce off of the lining of the clouds and fall to the Earth.  My words of my heart are heard even when my mouth makes no utterances. 
Please forgive me for not trusting in You.  The longing of my heart is to follow you with everything I am.  Increase my faith and confidence that You are not a God who solely sits on His throne waiting for my words to travel through the Heavens and enter Your dwelling place.  You are my Father who hears the silent whispers of my heart because You are walking next to me.
Oh, to feel Your closeness.
Your daughter,
Emily   

6 comments:

  1. The words of my mouth penetrate Your very presence.

    Oh, how this speaks to my heart! Your words are beautiful and so very true. I've known for a long time that God is 'Daddy' but because of my relationship with my earthly Dad, I saw God like him. A promise breaker, one that wasn't there. So untrue!

    I love when God reveals these things to us so that we know deep within that He is Daddy and Creator of all things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Emily. Thanks for sharing. My earthly Dad was not like my Heavenly Father and at times my Faith falters because of the title of "Dad", "Father". Love your page!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said.

    That was a refreshing Coke, indeed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHEW! Sip of a Coke, my foot! This was AT LEAST a 32 oz!

    I just got my socks blessed off!!! Keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, my friend. I so needed to be reminded that God is Holy and Loving, God and Father. He created the universe and cares about the details of my day. So powerful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete